Korean Government Scholarship 2018 | The information below contains Korean Government Scholarship Update for 2018. Beneath is also the Application Guideline and all vital information needed in Korean Government Scholarship Application 2018/19. Stay focus and read through.
Korean Government Scholarship 2018
The Korean Government through the National Institute for International Education (NIIED) offers the Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) for undergraduate programs (KGSP-U) at approved schools.
The scholarship program supports the future global leaders and promotes the international cooperation in education by inviting talented international students to Korea for an opportunity to conduct advanced studies at higher educational institutions in Korea.
The Government of Korea invites all international students who wish to pursue an undergraduate degree course in Korea to apply for the Korean Government Scholarships (Undergraduate program).
Korean Government Scholarship Eligibility
Prospective applicant must meet the following qualification criteria:
- Must be a citizen of the country to which scholarships are offered, which also applies to applicant’s parents. Note: Both applicant and his/her parents must NOT be a holder of Korean citizenship
- Have graduated or be scheduled to graduate from high school as of March 1st of the invitation year
- Must possess above 80% (out of 100%) cumulative grade point average (CGPA), or must be within the top 20% (out of 100%) in rank in high school.
There may be preferential selection for applicants who have proficiency in Korean or English
Countries Eligible for Scholarship
Citizens of more than 62 countries across the world (please see official website for specific countries)
- Cambodia and
- Mongolia, Vietnam, Mexico, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Kazakhstan, Myanmar, Chinese Taipei, Uzbekistan, Turkey, USA, Ethiopia, Colombia, Nepal, Senegal, Bangladesh, Ukraine, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Morocco, Azerbaijan, El Salvador, Egypt, Tanzania, Germany, France, Dominica, Chile, Iran, Canada, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kyrgyzstan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Pakistan, Gabon, Romania, Belarus, Bulgaria, Slovakia, United Kingdom, Czech, Guatemala, Ecuador, Algeria, Yemen, Uganda, Belize, Honduras, Italy, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Poland, Ghana, Georgia, Greece, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Nigeria, Republic of South Africa, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste, Rwanda, Libya, Lithuania, Moldavia, Bahrain, Barbados, Bahamas, Venezuela, Bolivia, BurkinaFaso, Brazil, Brunei, Serbia, Seychelles, Sudan, Sweden, Slovenia, Armenia, Argentina, Haïti, Ireland, Afghanistan, Angola, Oman, Austria, Uruguay, Iraq, Israel, Zambia, Cameroon, Qatar, Kenya, Costa Rica, Cote d’Ivoire, Croatia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Panama, Paraguay, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Fiji, Hungary, Australia, Jordan
- Candidates and their parents must hold non-Korean citizenship.
- KGSP-G: under 40
- KGSP-U: under 25
- Candidates must be physically and mentally healthy for their studies in Korea.
- KGSP-G: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree
- KGSP-U: High school diploma
- The cumulative grade point average (CGPA) must be 80% or higher; or
- The CGPA must be 2.64/ 4.0, 2.80/ 4.3, 2.91/ 4.5, or 3.23/ 5.0 or higher.
Number of Scholarships
- KGSP Undergraduate: around 170 grantees will be awarded annually
- KGSP Graduate: around 800 grantees will be awarded annually
The undergraduate scholarship covers:
- Airfare: Round-trip economy class ticket
- Monthly Allowance: 800,000 KRW per month
- Settlement (i.e Relocation) Allowance: 200,000 KRW upon arrival
- Language Training Fee: Full coverage
- Tuition: All admission fees are waived by the host institution (university). The tuition is covered by NIIED and the university.
- Medical Insurance: 20,000 KRW per month (limited coverage)
- Korean Proficiency Grants: 100,000 KRW per month for scholars with TOPIK Level 5 or 6.
1st Selection: Applicants submit their applications either to the Korean Embassies around the world or to the partering universities in Korea. The embassies and universities select the successful candidates among the applicants in the 1st round of selection. The applicants of the successful candidates will then be forwarded to NIIED
2nd Selection: The NIIED selection committee selects the successful candidates among those who passed the 1st round.
3rd Selection: Among the successful candidates who have passed the 2nd round, the applications of those who applied through the Korean Embassies will be reviewed by universities for admission. Successful candidates must get admission from at least one of the universities.
- 1 year Korean language course +2 year Associate degree
- 1 year Korean language course + 4 year Bachelors degree
- 1 year Korean language course+ 2 years of Master’s degree
- 1 year Korean language course + 3 years of Doctoral degree
To be taken at: Korean Universities.
How to Apply:
Applicants can only apply for the scholarships through the Korean Embassy in their home country or a participating Korean University.
DEADLINES: The deadline for recommendation of applications by 1st Selection Institutions to NIIED for Undergraduate Program is October – November every year. The deadline for applicants’ submission to 1st Selection Institutions is much earlier and will vary per country depending on the deadline set forth by the Korean Embassy (Consulate) in the country of origin or the universities in Korea.
As for detailed information on application deadlines and submission of required documents, applicants should contact the APPROPRIATE KOREAN EMBASSY or CONSULATE in the country of applicant’s origin (or in the neighboring country), the 1st selection organization.
If the respective 1st Selection Institutions do not submit their candidates’ documents to NIIED on time, they will be excluded from the examination of NIIED Selection Committee, and their quotas will be substituted by the other 1st Institutions’ reserve candidates.
Applicants must obtain admission from a University before entry into Korea. Applicants recommended by a Korean Embassy (Consulate) or overseas Korean adoptees must apply and gain admission into 1 of 3 of the designated universities. Applicants recommended by a university in Korea should enter the same university.
Application Deadline: Not yet available
Open to International students: Yes
Visit Scholarship Webpage for Details about this scholarship.